Friday, September 9, 2016

Organized Baby Closet - Ikea Hack



In an effort to be more organized I decided to spend a weekend building some affordable storage solutions.

I purchased 3 Kallax shelves from Ikea:
  • Two 1x4 cubes
  • One 2x2 cubes
Also purchased 3 adjustable clothing bars, bar wall brackets and laminate boards to make a top shelf from the hardware store.

After putting together the Ikea shelves, I put one of the 1x4 cubes horizontal on the ground.  I put the second 1x4 vertical on one end of the horizonal shelf.  Screw the shelves together so there is no risk of tipping or moving.

I positioned the new L shaped cube unit on one side of the closet and the 2x2 cubes on the other side.  I chose not to screw them together in case I want to pull out the smaller cubes in the future.

I used two laminated boards, the widest I could buy, as top shelves.  I used scrap trim to make a small ledge/bracket on the side walls of the closet.   I screwed the shelves into the top of the L shaped cube and the brackets on the sides.  By doing so I ensured the unit won't tip forward.

Attach clothing bars in desired location and voila!  Plenty of space to hang baby clothes, store toys, diapers, etc.  An organized girls dream!

The best part is storage cubes from Thirty-One gives fit perfectly in these cubes!



No comments:

Post a Comment